About the Institute
The Institute for Youth Sustainability Leadership (IYSL) at The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong aspires to be one of Hong Kong’s major initiatives for mobilising young people to achieve the United Nations’ Sustainability Development Goals (SDGs) through youth education and empowerment. The Institute aims to be a hub sharing knowledge, expertise, and resources of sustainability development with various stakeholders in the wider community.
Vision and Missions
- 1. Vision
The IYSL aspires to be one of Hong Kong’s major initiatives for mobilising young people to achieve the UN’s SDGs through youth education and empowerment. Our vision is to help execute the SDG 4.7 to ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development by 2030. Based on the strong track records of sustainability development at HSUHK, we seek to transform the youth from passive bystanders to problem-solvers and shapers of the sustainable future.
- 2. Missions
– Provide a broad range of educational projects for a diverse community of learners and teachers to increase their knowledge of the challenges affecting sustainable development in Hong Kong, in the region and in the world as a whole.
– Encourage the youth to motivate themselves to become problem-solvers and future shapers to address the United Nation’s 17 sustainable development goals for attaining a sustainable future.
– Provide a powerful platform for young people to voice their opinions and create a community of individuals to build peaceful and sustainable societies together.
– Expand the teaching capacity of teachers, helping them to master pedagogy for sustainable development.
– Share knowledge with the community by making the knowledge, expertise, and resources accumulated by the project accessible to all to widen its influence in Hong Kong.
Chairman and Institute Director
Dr Chi Kit CHAN
Assistant Professor, School of Communication
Associate Master, Mosaic College
Institute Associate Director (Youth Education)
Institute Associate Director (Youth Empowerment)
Dr Holly Ho Ying CHUNG
Senior Lecturer, Department of English, School of Humanities and Social Science
Ms Pui Sze CHEUNG
Lecturer, Department of Social Science, School of Humanities and Social Science
Associate Master, Evergreen College
Ms Rebecca CHAN
Director of Student Affairs
Dr Sai Cheong SIU
Associate Professor, School of Translation
Mr Jeffrey Sai Yau SIU
Lecturer, School of Translation
Dr Howard Zhaoxun SONG
Associate Professor, School of Communication
Master, Evergreen College
Dr Eugene Yin Cheung WONG
Assistant Professor, Department of Supply Chain and Information Management, School of Decision Sciences
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by United Nations
The 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) include:
Goal 1 – No Poverty
Goal 2 – Zero Hunger
Goal 3 – Good Health and Well-being
Goal 4 – Quality Education
Goal 5 – Gender Equality
Goal 6 – Clean Water and Sanitation
Goal 7 – Affordable and Clean Energy
Goal 8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth
Goal 9 – Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Goal 10 – Reduced Inequality
Goal 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities
Goal 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
Goal 13 – Climate Action
Goal 14 – Life Below Water
Goal 15 – Life on Land
Goal 16 – Peace and Justice Strong Institutions
Goal 17 – Partnerships to achieve the Goal